Skip To Content


Liquor License - Temporary On-Premises License

Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for processing of a temporary license application from the time it is submitted until the license certificate is issued by the State.

APPLICATION AND APPROVAL PROCESS - Please follow these steps in the order listed:
      1. To submit your license application on-line, go to the State of Iowa’s website  The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division (Iowa ABD) “Electronic Licensing User Guide” is available on the website. Be sure to follow the instructions for submitting a NEW application.  Contact Iowa ABD with questions at (866) 469-2223 (Option 1 for a Licensing Specialist).

        Please carefully read the questions from the “Criminal History” screen of the online application and provide answers as requested. Failure to disclose all incidents can result in denial of your application.
        If you have listed any criminal history on your application, provide a copy of the disposition of court and any related documentation.
      2. Please provide all of the following documents to [email protected] to begin the approval process
        Confidential Addendum 
        This form requests background information and proof of financial responsibility. Applicants must provide financial statement (bank statement or balance sheet) along with the form.
        Sketch of premise  
        The premise is identified as the location from which alcoholic beverages are sold and/or served. If serving from a tapper truck, it must be privately owned and not owned by a beer or other alcohol distributor. Please provide a clearly marked sketch, listing location of the items on the “Premises” screen of the online application, as well as the boundaries of the outdoor area in relation to the premise.
        Sketch of outdoor service area - if applicable
        A temporary outdoor area must be adjacent to the premises (sales or serving area). You must request outdoor area privilege if you will allow consumption of alcoholic beverages outside or surrounding the premises. The outdoor area cannot be separated from the premises by parking or other space. Boundaries of an outdoor area must be easily identifiable using visible above ground structure (such as snow fencing or barricades).
      3.  The application information will be routed to the Zoning, Fire, Police and Building Departments for review. When all department recommendations have been received by the Revenue Division, your application will be placed on the Committee of the Whole agenda for City Council approval before processing by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division.  
        ***Note: Council agenda is set two weeks prior to each meeting and meetings are held twice per month.

        4. The following items are not required at the same time you submit your license application. However, they are required before your license can be processed by the State.
        Agreement for Use of the Premises
        A Special Event application filed with the Deputy City Clerk, a letter from the property owner permitting temporary use of the property, or other appropriate documentation as applicable.
        Dram shop liability insurance verification
        The effective dates must run concurrently with the effective dates of the license. After the dates have been determined, the insurance company must verify coverage on-line in order for the City to approve your application for processing by the State. It is not necessary to provide a copy of the dram shop liability certificate to the City.

        5. When all of the above steps are completed, the City will endorse your license application for processing by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division.   

        6. Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division will email your new license to the email address provided on your online application. Please print and post the license at the licensed premise.


Special Events Application - Required

Other Licenses and Permit information and additional resources